10.31.2020

책: The Hobbit, or There and Back Again



Bilbo knelt on one knee filled with sorrow. “Farewell, King under the Mountain!” he said. “This is a bitter adventure, if it must end so; and not a mountain of gold can amend it. Yet I am glad that I have shared in your perils—that has been more than any Baggins deserves.”

“No!” said Thorin. “There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. But sad or merry, I must leave it now. Farewell!”

Then Bilbo turned away, and he went by himself, and sat alone wrapped in a blanket, and, whether you believe it or not, he wept until his eyes were red and his voice was hoarse. He was a kindly little soul. Indeed it was long before he had the heart to make a joke again. “A mercy it is,” he said at last to himself, “that I woke up when I did. I wish Thorin were living, but I am glad that we parted in kindness. You are a fool, Bilbo Baggins, and you made a great mess of that business with the stone; and there was a battle, in spite of all your efforts to buy peace and quiet, but I suppose you can hardly be blamed for that.”

Tolkien, J.R.R.. The Hobbit: 75th Anniversary Edition (p. 290). Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Kindle Edition.


빌보를 따라 혼자서 엉엉...

잠이 오지 않아 잠 올때까지 읽으려 시작했던...
흥미진진한 와중에도 착하게 잔잔히 잠을 불러주던...
전날 밤 잠들어 미처 다 읽지 못한 이야기가 궁금해 눈 뜨자마자 읽기도 했던...

잠들지 못하는 영혼을 쉬게 해준 것만으로도 고마운데, 이런 보석이 기다리고 있었다.
이 순간을 위해 그 기나긴 모험을 했어야 했구나...
결국 황금더미도 arkenstone도 밝고 따뜻하고 삶을 사랑하는 마음보다는 못하다는 것...

콕 짚어 말하지는 않았지만,
빌보의 모든 지혜는 그런 마음에서 나왔다는, 그리고 모든 지혜는 그런 마음에서 나온다는 말을 하고 싶지 않았을까...


No comments: